Dr. Seth Apollo Publications
Publications in Journals:
1. Benton Onyango and Seth Apollo (2021). Energy recovery from biomethanation of vinasse and its potential application in ozonation post-treatment for removal of biorecalcitrant organic compounds, Journal of water process engineering, (39) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jwpe.2020.101723
2. Thabo brooms, Seth Apollo, Kabuba John, Ochieng Aoyi (2020). Integrated anaerobic digestion and photodegradation of slaughterhouse wastewater; Energy analysis of and degradation of aromatic compounds, Journal of Material Cycles and Waste Management volume 22, pages1227–1236
3. Apollo, S., Onyango, M. S., and Ochieng, A., (2016). Modelling energy efficiency of an integrated anaerobic digestion and photodegradation of distillery effluent using response surface methodology. Environmental Technology, 37, (19) 2435 - 2446.
4. Apollo, S. and Ochieng, A., (2016) Combined anaerobic digestion and photocatalytic treatment of distillery effluent in fluidized bed reactors focusing on energy conservation. Environmental Technology, 37 (17) 2243-2251.
5. Benton Otieno, S Apollo, John Kabuba, Bobby Naidoo, Geoffrey Simate, Aoyi Ochieng (2019). Ozonolysis pre-treatment of waste activated sludge for solubilization and biodegradability enhancement. Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering 7 (2), 102945
6. Benton Otieno, S Apollo, John Kabuba, Bobby Naidoo, Geoffrey Simate, Aoyi Ochieng (2019). Ozonolysis Post-treatment of Anaerobically Digested Distillery Wastewater Effluent, Ozone: Science & Engineering. DOI: 10.1080/01919512.2019.1593818
7. Apollo, S., Onyango, M. S., and Ochieng, A., (2014). Integrated UV photodegradation and anaerobic digestion of textile dye for efficient biogas production. Chemical Engineering Journal, 245, (241-247).
8. Apollo, S., Onyango, M. S., and Ochieng, A., (2013). An integrated anaerobic digestion and UV photocatalytic treatment of distillery wastewater. Journal of Hazardous Materials, 261 (435-442).
9. Benton, O., Apollo, S., Naidoo, B., Ochieng, A (2016). Photodegradation of molasses wastewater using TiO2-ZnO nanohybrid photocatalyst supported on Activated Carbon. Chemical Engineering Communications, 203 (11) 1443-1454.
10. Janet Mabuza, Benton Otieno, Seth Apollo, Ochieng Aoyi (2017). Investigating the synergy of integrated anaerobic digestion and photodegradation using hybrid photocatalyst for molasses wastewater treatment. Euro-Mediterr J Environ Integr 2: 17
11. Benton, O., Apollo, S., Naidoo, B., Ochieng, A (2016). Response surface methodology modelling of diazinon photodegradation using TiO2-ZnO. International Journal of Advances in Science and Engineering, 5 (1) 125-130.
12. Apollo, S., M., Onyango, M. S., and Ochieng, A., (2014). UV/H2O2/TiO2/Zeolite Hybrid System for Treatment of Molasses Wastewater. Iranian Journal of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering 33 (2) 107 – 117.
13. Apollo Seth, Stanley Moyo, Gift Mabuoa, Ochieng Aoyi., (2014). Solar Photodegradation of Methyl Orange and Phenol using silica-supported ZnO catalyst. International Journal of Innovation, Management and Technology, 5 (3) 203-206.
14. Apollo, S., Onyango, M. S., and Ochieng, A., (2013). UV photodegradation and anaerobic digestion of methylene blue dye. Advanced material research, Chemical engineering III, Vols 781-784 (2245 - 2248).
15. Benton, O., Apollo, S., Naidoo, B., Ochieng, A (2016). Photodecolorisation of melanoidins in vinasse with illuminated TiO2-ZnO/activated carbon. Journal of Environmental Sciences and Health, Part A 5 52(7) 616-623.
Presentation of Papers at Academic and Professional Conferences
1. Apollo, S., Collins M (2019). ‘An innovative compact decentralized system water treatment for reuse, Kenya sanitation conference, 28th to 31st of October 2019, KICC- Nairobi
2. Apollo, S., Manana Seretlo, John Kabuba (2019). A Compact Decentralized System for Wastewater Treatment for Re-use in Remotely Located Higher Learning Institutions and Settlements, ANSO- MMU-SAJOREC International Conference, 4th – 8th September, Narok Kenya
3. Apollo, S., Akach, J., Ochieng, A., Synergistic effects between photodegradation and biodegradation. The International Conference on Pure and Applied Chemistry, Mauritius 18th – 22nd July 2016.
4. Apollo Seth, Stanley Moyo, Gift Mabuoa, Ochieng Aoyi, Solar Photodegradation of Methyl Orange and Phenol using silica supported ZnO catalyst. 4th International Conference on Environment and Industrial Innovation, Penang, Malaysia, 12th -14th March 2014.
5. Apollo, S., Onyango, M. S., and Ochieng, A., UV photodegradation and anaerobic digestion of MB dye. 3rd International Conference on Chemical Engineering and Advanced Materials, Guangzhou, China 6th -7th July 2013
6. Apollo, S., Onyango, M. S., and Ochieng, A., Photocatalytic degradation of industrial wastewater using South African natural zeolite as TiO2 support material. Water Institute of South Africa Biennial Conference and Exhibition, Cape Town, South Africa, 6th – 10th, May 2012.
7. Apollo, S., Onyango, M. S., and Ochieng, A., Application of South African natural zeolite to enhance biogas production in anaerobic treatment of industrial wastewater. Academy of Science of South Africa, Pretoria, South Africa, 16th – 18th, Oct. 2012.
8. Apollo, S., Onyango, M. S., and Ochieng, A., UV photodegradation of molasses wastewater using South African natural zeolite as catalyst support. South Africa Institute of Chemical Engineering Conference.Champagne Sports Resort, South Africa, 16th – 19th, September 2012.
9. Aoyi O, Pete, K.Y., Apollo, S., Application of zeolite and chitosan beads for the photocatalytic degradation of Methylene blue dye. Egerton University 6th Annual International Conference, Njoro, Kenya, 26th -28th September 2012.
10. Otieno Benton, Seth Apollo, Bobby Naidoo, and Aoyi Ochieng, (2018). Ozonolysis of distillery wastewater for improved biodegradability; Effect of solubilization and reduced aromaticity on biodegradability. International Conference on Pure and Applied Chemistry. July 18 - 22, 2019 Port Louis, Mauritius.
11. Otieno Benton, Seth Apollo, Bobby Naidoo, and Aoyi Ochieng, (2019). A combined Anaerobic Digestion and Ozonolysis Treatment of Vinasse for the removal of Organic Contaminants and Colour. IUPAC Postgraduate Summer School on Green Chemistry. June 12 - 19, 2019 Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
12. Otieno Benton, Seth Apollo, Bobby Naidoo, John Kabuba and Aoyi Ochieng, (2019). Ozonolysis Post-treatment of Anaerobically Digested Vinasse; Color reduction and Sludge Solubilisation. 9th International Young Water Professionals Conference. June 23- 27, 2019 Toronto, Canada.
Books/Book Chapters Published
1. Seth Apollo and John Kabuba (2021) Zeolite for Treatment of Distillery Wastewater in Fluidized Bed Systems. In: Lichtfouse E., Muthu S.S., Khadir A. (eds) Inorganic-Organic Composites for Water and Wastewater Treatment. Environmental Footprints and Eco- design of Products and Processes. Springer, Singapore. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981- 16-5916-4_5
2. Seth Apollo, Benton Otieno, Aoyi Ochieng (2018). Application of natural zeolite as catalyst and biomass support in an integrated photodegradation and anaerobic digestion of textile wastewater. In: Iqbal MJ, Thokozani M, Mutiu KA (eds) Water Management; Social and Technological Perspectives. CRC Press Taylor and Francis Group, London, pp 369-380.
3. Benton Otieno, Seth Apollo, Nomalungelo Matjokana, Bobby Naidoo, Aoyi Ochieng (2019). Photodegradation of Phenol by Silver doped TiO2; A Comparative Study of the Efficiency of HPLC and UV-Vis analyses. To be published in "Phyto and Rhizo Remediation Book" by Springer-Nature.
4. Benton Otieno, Seth Apollo, Bobby Naidoo, Aoyi Ochieng (2019). Influence of zeolite support on integrated biodegradation and photodegradation of molasses wastewater for organic load reduction and colour removal. To be published in "Book of Proceedings for ICPAC 2018" by Springer.